Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney- What are Your Rights if You Have Been Arrested?
Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant understands the fear, anexity and frustration that comes with being arrested. Many people tend to panic when they are arrested. This is true whether you are at fault or not. However, it is important that you remain calm because you have basic rights. If you have been arrested, your first goal should be to contact Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant to help defend your rights. The police must treat you with respect since you are assumed innocent until proven guilty. If arrested, you will likely need a Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney on your side. This is where Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant will be of extreme benefit to you.
Police Interrogation Process
Once arrested, the police cannot force you to admit to a crime or make statements of any kind. Generally, law enforcement should read your Miranda Rights, informing you of your right to remain silent and your right to consult an attorney before answering any questions by the police. It is common for arrested individuals to feel intimidated and scarred, but instead of panicking, it is best to call Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant right away. While waiting for a Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney, most likely at the police station, remember to remain silent as your silence cannot be used against you in court.
Always keep in mind these two important reminders:
- Consult first with Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant before discussing anything with the police or law enforcement.
- Think twice before saying or making a statement that can later hurt you cour. Remember that anything you say can be used by the police against you. Don’t believe in the so called ‘friendly chat’ especially if you’ve already been arrested. Police officers are masters at making you fill comfortable to induce you into making incriminating statements.
Your Rights While In Police Custody
- The police must treat you humanely and with respect.
- Law Enforcement should let you know why you were arrested
- Inform you of your Miranda Rights
- Notify someone that you’ve been arrested (if possible).
- Contact Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant immediatley.
Sometimes you will be allowed to make a phone call on your behalf. This is where you must contact a criminal attorney immediately to protect yourself and your rights if arrested.
Constitutionally,the police must have probable cause to arrest you, and must issue a warrant for your arrest within jurisdictional time restraints, in most cases within 72 hours of your arrest. A failure of such may deny your rights to due process. Contact Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney immediately if you or a family members due process rights have been violated due to an unlawful detainment.
While in jail, you may be in a cell or holding area alongside other arrested individuals. It is advisable not to speak or make comments about your case to these individuals as even these statements can be used against you in court. If a warrant or criminal complaint is obtained, then the next step is to be arraigned on the new criminal charges before a Judge or Magistrate. It is very important to have the representation of a Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney at this point as this will determine the evidence the prosecutor has against you, as well as arguing for a reasonable bond on your behalf to possibly get you out of jail sooner. If you have been arrested, contact Detroit Criminal Defense Attorney Kevin Bessant immediately to protect your rights and help build your defense in court.